Follow

Friday, June 3, 2016

Feature Friday: Urban Decay Alice Through the Looking Glass Palette






Hello ladies and gents! I hope everyone is having an amazing Friday! Also, Happy National Donut Day everyone, time to scarf down some yummy treats. All right now that breakfast is out of the way, lets get down to some serious makeup business! On today’s edition of “Feature Friday” we have the ever anticipated and magnificent “Alice through the looking Glass” Palette from Urban Decay. Isn’t she stunning?! I will be breaking down the shadows for you and reviewing each one based on my own thoughts, spoiler alert, I am obsessed with this palette. I hope you all enjoy this review and stay tuned for tons and tons of makeup looks I will be featuring with this incredibly and unrepentantly versatile palette.









On the review:

Urban Decay Alice Through the Looking Glass Palette ($60 for0.80oz.): This palette includes 20 eyeshadows, so an overall amazing deal for the value at $3.00 a shadow. The shadows are all brand new according to UD, and come arranged by character from the Alice Through the Look Glass Motion Picture Film. Comment below if you have seen the movie and if you liked it or not? Visually, it may be a daunting palette to look at and doesn’t look like it has much organization to the looks, but trust me when I tell you, you can definitely exploit many makeup looks from this palette. The palette comes with three light toned, shimmery/matte shades that will suit a lot of skin tones as a brown bone highlight (flush, looking glass, and lily). It also has three matte mid tone, brown shades perfect for the crease transitional shades (reflection, chessboard, and Dormouse). The pigmentation of some of the colorful shades leaves a bit to be desired so make sure to use a base similar to the color to bring out some more of their intensity. The matte transitional shades also need to be built up before you get a high intense shade. Overall the palette may be a hit or miss with a divide audience, but honestly I think the palette is workable and useful for creative vibrant colorful looks. If color is not your think then definitely pass up on this palette, but for all you color lovers like me, I do recommend it and here is why…







Lets break down the shades in this palette:


“Looking Glass”: is a light baby pink with a soft satin finish. It has great color pay off and I like to use it to intensify some of the other light shimmer shades. It has good texture with slight dusting, but no fallout when applied. The color wears for a good 6 to 8 hours, while using a primer underneath.


“Hatter”: this shade is a bright, grassy green with subtly, warm undertones, a beautiful green with satin shimmer. It looks very matte when applied to the lid and the color payoff is a 4/5 for me. I would use this one with a white base to bring out more of the intensity. I found the intensity of the color fades over time when I did use a base or primer and really packed on that color.
“Lily”: is a light, iridescent pinky-beige with subtle, warm undertones, and a cooler, frost finish. I love this color for highlighting the brow bone and inner tear duck areas. It has semi-opaque pigmentation, but definitely buildable and like to mix it in with looking glass to give it more opacity.


“Heads will Roll”: Love the name of this shade and it’s my favorite color in the entire palette.  This shade is a bright, medium blue-teal with cool undertones and a gold micro-sparkle over a matte finish. It applies matte to the skin, very silky and finely milled. I also recommend using a white or skin color base crème shadow underneath this shade to intensify the pigmentation. After using it with a white base I found it intensified and prolonged the wear of the shadow for up to 6 hours.


“Time”: is a medium black with navy shimmer and cool undertones, which gives it a bluer coloring. The palette does not come with a true matte black shade, but time is a very close alternative. I use Time to intensify outer smoky eye looks and to give the appearance of a more cat eye effect. You can use Time to intensify some of the darker colors in the palette as well. The texture is soft and smooth, but it doesn’t sheer out. If you want to intensify the shimmer you can use a dark base underneath, otherwise the shimmer flakes and the shadow looks more matte black.


“Reflection”: I am so happy to see this color in this palette and it reminds me a lot of Makeup Geek “peach smoothie” eye shadow. This shade is perfect as an inner crease transition shade.  Reflection is a light-medium peach with warm undertones and a matte finish. Great color payoff, very blendable, and can be built up to the intensity desired.










“Gone Mad”: Is a beautiful purple shade, but it leaves me a bit underwhelmed. It’s a muted, dark purple with subtle, warm undertones and a splash of lighter purple micro-sparkle over a primarily matte finish. It is my least favorite shade as it is difficult to blend, semi sheer, and very dusty.


“Duchess”: Is my second most favorite shadow in the palette and it works amazingly as a lid shade for a beautiful simple everyday look. It is a light-medium, yellow tone peach base with a warm pink shift with a frosted finish. It has great color payoff, soft, smooth, and lightly dense texture. Applied very well on the lid and is easy to blend out.


“Bandersnatch”: is a dark blue with cool undertones and a matte finish. I love this shade as well and it can easily be intensified with a dark blue or white base underneath. The color is build able.



“Dream On”: is another shade I wish had a different texture and finish. The color is stunning but it’s all glitter, so that dark purple-ish undertone gets completely lost, unless you use a black base. I created a smoky eye look with this shade and used a matte black crème base underneath. When I packed on this color it gave a beautiful dark purple reflective property to the lid. (Tutorial with the shade to come soon)



“Dormouse”: is another wonderful crease, transition color. It is a medium-dark brown with warm, reddish-orange undertones and mostly matte finish. It has buildable opacity, silky, smooth, and blendable texture. I use this color in conjunction with reflection to intensify my crease shade.









“Paradox”: Another shade I am in love with! It is a bright, medium orange with warm, golden undertones and a frosted sheen. The texture is smooth, creamy, and easy to blend out. I used this color a ton on my lid. (Tutorial soon)


“Kingdom”: gorgeous shade. It is a slightly muted, medium-dark rosy brown with warm undertones and a frosted finish. It has amazing color payoff, and the texture is soft, fine, with a smooth finish. I use this color a lot on my lid as well. Perfect for creating everyday looks.



“Salazen Grum”: My third most absolutely favorite shade in the palette. This color is beautiful for creating sunset makeup looks. It is a bright, medium red with warm, coppery undertones and a frosted almost metallic finish. I love me some copper shades guys! It has great color payoff, smooth and very blendable shadow to work with.



“Chronosphere”: is a muted, bronzy brown with subtle, warmer undertones and a frosted sheen. It has wonderful pigmentation, and a great texture and consistency. Another perfect shade for creating warm smoky eye looks. I use this shade a ton on my lid area as well.



“Metamorphosis”: is my fourth favorite shade in the palette! Notice a trend here with matte colorful shades in this palette, lol. Obsessed! It is a gorgeous periwinkle blue color with a satin finish. I use a white base underneath this one as well but the color is very buildable. I love this color on its own.  






“Cake”: is another very underwhelming color for me. Definitely a huge miss! I wish it was a lot more pigmented and showed up true to the color in the palette. It is a fuchsia pink medium-dark with cool undertones and a pearly sheen. The color payoff isn’t good on its own and definitely needs a lot of work. I use a dark red base to intensify this color.



“Chessboard”: Cant say enough wonderful things about this shade, it is another great transitional shade. It is muted, medium-dark brown warm, yellow undertones with a matte finish. A very opaque and pigmented color, it blends beautifully.



“Royal Flush”: is very shimmery and a beautiful brow bone highlight. You can even use this shade to highlight your face as well. It’s beautiful as an inner tear ducks area shade as well. It is a bright, white-peach with subtle, warm undertones and a metallic finish.



“Mirror”: last but certainly not least we have this pretty gray, medium-dark taupe with a pearly sheen. I have to say this is the only color in the palette I have not even touched once. I don’t know what to do with it or why it is even in the palette. Maybe you could use it as a transition for a smoky eye look. I definitely need to try to incorporate this eyeshadow somehow. (Tutorial soon)










Hopefully you guys enjoyed this review and “Friday Feature”. If you missed last week’s edition, click here! I would love to hear your thought son this palette and whether you have found it as versatile as I have. Let me know in the comment section below. Love you all and till next time, Stay Chic Everybody!


SIGN UP FOR UD BEAUTY JUNKIE REWARDS PROGRAM: HERE








LETS BE PALS!! FOLLOW ME!

INSTAGRAM: Libutterfly https://twitter.com/LooksByLi
TWITTER: Looks By Li https://twitter.com/LooksByLi
FACEBOOK: Looks By Li https://www.facebook.com/LooksByLi/
SNAPCHAT: Flutterby413


4 comments: