Follow

Friday, May 13, 2016

Feature Friday: Maybelline

Connect with me here








Hello everyone and I hope you are all having a wonderful Friday, TGIF! This week’s “Feature Friday” is one of my all-time favorites, if not most favorite, drug store makeup brand. I will come clean about something first though, the very first drug store brand I ever tired was Revlon. I use to be obsessed with their Colorstay foundation that was, until I discovered Maybelline. If you are new to my blog, first off welcome, I do a weekly feature on Friday’s depicting a special makeup product or brand that I feel deserves people’s attention. I will be highlighting three special Maybelline products and telling you a little bit more about this brand and it’s history. If you missed last week’s feature click here! I think it’s always interesting to learn more about a brand on a deeper level, rather than just by reviewing or trying out their products.










Let’s begin with a bit of background history on Maybelline and how it all came to be. In doing some research on the company I came to discover that Maybelline was actually created by a 19-year-old entrepreneur named Tom Lyle Williams in 1915. First off, two things from that very sentence grab my attention right away! A 19-year-old, male, in 1915!! Wow! Well if you know your history, women didn’t have rights till the late 1920s so a cosmetics company founded by a man wasn’t too off fetch, but a man that young and in that year, well those are pretty outstanding odds! So how did it come to be that young Williams started this company, here is where the story gets interesting. Williams noticed his older sister “Mabel” applying a mixture of Vaseline (often used for cosmetic purposes even today) and a coal dust to her eyelashes to give them a darker, fuller look, the beginnings of the very first mascara. He applied the mixture with his chemistry set to create a product he sold locally as the lash-in-brow-line. He later named the eye beautifier Maybelline in honor of his sister Mabel who helped discover the cosmetics gem. In 1917 the company Maybelline produced its very first Cake Mascara, “the first modern eye cosmetic for everyday use”. In 1967, the company was sold to Plough Inc. (now known as Schering-Plough) in Tennessee. The company is now located in Arkansas and was later sold again in 1990 to a New York investment firm. Maybelline headquarters now stands in New York City. The factory moved to Brooklyn in 2000. Maybelline is known today as Maybelline New York, but it took a long journey before getting there.







Maybelline today: In 1991, the company adopted the advertising slogan “Maybe she’s born with it, Maybe its Maybelline”, which is still used today. L’Oreal also later acquired the company in 1996. Maybelline is the biggest sponsor for the Mercedes Benz Fashion Week in NYC and the rest well, as they say, is all history folks. Rising from a small, family-oriented business to the number one makeup company in America, Maybelline NY trends from the catwalk to the sidewalks, empowering women to make a statement and I would have to agree with this. Because not only are Maybelline products outstanding, they are quite affordable for most, if not all men and women today.  Maybelline brings makeup to everyone with scientifically advanced formulas, revolutionary textures and up-to-the-minute trending shades effortlessly, affordably, and beautifully.




Product Review:

I wanted to highlight three products in particular, although I must say their lipstick formula is among the best in drug stores today! I didn’t depict them here, but I wanted to say if you haven’t tried a Maybelline lipstick do it today!








Maybelline Fit MeMatte and Poreless Foundation $7.99; Rating 5/5: This foundation claims to eliminate the look of pores and achieve natural looking skin with a lightweight, mattifying formula. I have to say yes, yes, yes and triple yes! Being a beauty blogger like myself you try out a LOT of foundations and you actually don’t see what one id capable of until you see it stack up to other foundations. I have tried high-end, mid range, and even other drug store foundations and I have to say this foundation stacks up very well to the competition. It definitely is lightweight, makes your face look poreless and definitely helps keep oil at bay. This foundation stays on my face all day long, even without face primer. It is by far the best drug store foundation I have tried to date. I highly recommend it for my oily combination skin-type ladies and even normal dry ladies, because the formula will not cake up or make you look dull. It has a matte finish, but becomes satin throughout the day.









Maybelline Fit Me Concealer $6.49; Rating 5/5: I will admit my number one holy grail concealer is MAC cosmetic’s pro-long wear concealer, but since I have tried the Maybelline Fit Me concealer my holy grail status might be changing. Maybelline claims this concealer gives you natural coverage that leaves skin the way it was meant to be, fresh, breathing, and natural. Maybe not so much natural, but I will agree to everything else. The concealer is lightweight and does a great job of highlighting your under eye area. It most definitely never cakes up, even after you set it with powder. I do see it sink into my fine lines at times, but that is just because lets face it people, I am getting old and those lines will become more and more pronounced as time goes on, so I am not going to blame the concealer for that. It definitely stacks up with the MAC concealer and most definitely comparable to it. The Maybelline is far more affordable and the applicator allows for smooth coverage without wasting the product like the pro-long wear concealer does. I definitely recommend this concealer as a much more affordable option.









Maybelline ColorSensational Matte Vivid Liquid $7.99 Rating 3/5: Let me preface this rating by saying, I have a lot of specific expectations when it comes to liquid lipsticks. I enjoy matte finishes with a very dry formula, not to the point where it feels uncomfortable, but I mean sturdy enough of a formula that is stays on all day. You don’t really get any of this with the Maybelline option. If I had to describe this product I would say it basically feels like a regular lipstick was taken, melted, and put into a liquid lipstick tube. It gives you the exact staying power as a regular lipstick. Lipsticks are something Maybelline does very well and I think they tried to go into the liquid lipstick fad, but it just didn’t work out! The formula feels mousey, with the staying power of about 4 hours, if you don’t disturb it with eating and drinking. It easily wipes off if you want to, which to me is a bit not-so-liquid-lipstick-like. I enjoy this product, but I wouldn’t go and buy the whole range. I would on the other hand buy their matte color sensational lipsticks.







I hope this brand review has been helpful, and if you have any comments or questions please feel free to ask. I have tried other products not spoken about here so if you need any advise please do not hesitate to ask. If you enjoyed this post be sure to follow me on Looks By Li on BlogLovin. I also have a YouTube channel at Liana Veronica if you care to see my first every uploaded video here!



Lets be friends, connect with me on social media!

Facebook: Looks By Li 
Twitter: Looks By Li 
Instagram: libutterfly 
Snapchat: flutterby413




No comments:

Post a Comment