Follow

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Trend Tuesday: Lavender is the New Pink

Connect with Me!





Hello everyone and welcome back to Looks By Li! Today we’ll be discussing lavender lips, and some of my tried and true tips and tricks on how to sport this eclectic trend. I remember the first time this trend took a strong hold over the Instagram community, all thanks to the infamous Kat Von D liquid lipstick in requiem. I will admit I was obsessed with the trend too, but I had no clue how to rock it without looking like I was dying of hypothermia. After some trial and error and lots of experimenting I finally figured out that less is more, when it comes to an accentuating lip color.

It all seemed that after the thrill of this color a lot more cosmetic companies joined the bandwagon, along with MAC releasing their Nicki Minaj 2 Viva Glam Lipstick and Lime Crime released D’Lilac lipstick. I knew I wanted to hop on the lavender lipstick train, but I wanted to first find an affordable option since I knew this was not a color I would be reaching for often. Then the makeup Gods heard my plea and out came Colourpop with their new line of matte liquid lipsticks. In the very first launch of this collection they released the color in Koala, a gorgeous lavender pink color with a blue undertone. Despite popular belief this is a very wearable color.




Tips and Tricks on How to Wear a Lavender Lip:

1.) Skin Tone:

With any lip color, not just lavender, the number one tip is to make the color work for your skin tone. For reference my skin tone at the moment is about an NC20 in MAC foundations and for the look today I worse Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Flawless Fluid Foundation in Cashew. If I had to describe my skin tone I am on the lighter spectrum of medium skin tone with neutral undertones, but I think any skin tone can make this color work for them. Remember, the second you think you can’t rock a trend because it’s too out there or showy don’t forget you can always mold a trend to suit you; you don’t have to change your style to suit the trend. The most crucial importance to keep in mind when choosing a lavender lip color is to make sure it suits your skin tone. The wonderful thing about makeup is that companies are always coming out with colors of all shapes and sizes and color schemes. So pick the one that will look best on you. I chose the colourpop color because it had warm undertones with pink notes mixed in with the lavender so it works for my medium skin color. People with warm skin tone, like myself, will look best with lavenders with hints of pink and orange, while people with cool skin tones will look best with lavender colors mixed with more purple and blue tones and darker blue purples instead of pink purples, if that make sense. Cool tone people should stick to cool tone purples.








2.) Keep the Eyes Neutral

The second tip is to try to keep your eye look as neutral and minimal as possible. I decided to go with a very simple graphic like eyeliner look with warm light shadows on the eyelid to mimic my own skin tone. I wanted the liner to call some attention away from the lips so as to not keep all the focus on the Lavender color. Try to keep the eye looks minimal and warm in tone, or try a warm smoky eye using warm browns instead of black.





3.) A Flawless Face

A flawless base is a must to achieve a wearable look with lavender lips as the attention focus. One thing we mostly associate with beautiful lavender colors is velvety flawless skin. Try to go a light on highlight and less intense on bronzer to give you the appearance of a more flawless base. Use a satin or matte finish foundation to provide enough dimension and glow, without making you look to pale or too dry. You want to achieve a matte look but not a flat dimensionless base. Keep the face as neutral as possible.  Keep everything even, so the attention goes to your eyeliner and lips. I went for a matte finish here to get ride of any pores and imperfections that might otherwise distract from the lip color. Don’t forget to go full coverage for this look to achieve that airbrushes appearance.

Last but certainly not least, pick an outfit and hairstyle that will compliment the makeup look. I am not one to always match my outfits to my makeup, but this trick has its merits as it help bring a cohesiveness to the your overall appearance. For my look I went with neutral color again to make sure to bring all the focus to the lip color. I chose this white blouse with a pop of character in this bow detail around the collar and paired it with black trousers for a more business chic look. I love mixing edgy outfits with colorful lip makeup. I would have also substituted the trousers for a nice pair of black faux leather pants. My hair I kept very minimal and simple with a ponytail. I wanted to make my face the focal point of the makeup look.


I hope you all have enjoyed this look and join me again tomorrow for another edition of Looks By Li on bloglovin. Be sure to leave me a comment below with your favorite lavender lipstick? As always I say till next time and Stay Chic Everybody!






Products Used:

FACE:

Foundation- Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Flawless Fluid Foundation
Concealer- MAC Pro Long wear
Powder- MAC skin finish in light medium
Bronzer- MAC give me sun
Blush- NARS orgasm
Highlight- Hourglass ambient lighting powder in incandescent light

EYES:

Shadow- UD naked palette in Virgin and naked (light dusting)
Eyeliner- UD 24/7 eyeliner pencil in perversion smoked out
Mascara- Benefit roller lash


LIPS:

Liquid Lipstick- Colourpop Koala





No comments:

Post a Comment