Follow

Friday, May 6, 2016

Feature Friday: Smoky Met Gala

Lets Connect!






Hello everyone! I hope you are all having a wonderful Friday so far. This weekend is Mother’s Day so I hope you are all prepped and ready to get her that very special gift to show your appreciation to the woman who has given, sacrificed, and loved you all your life. I know I am, and if you still need some few last-minute gift ideas, be sure to check out my Mother’s Day gift guide here!








As you all know Friday’s I like to do a little series here on my blog called “Feature Friday”, which highlights a makeup or fashion trend I believe deserves some recognition. This week I decided to pick a look from one of the seasons most awaited events, the Met Gala.







As you all may or may not know this passed Monday evening was the lustrous event of the season for the fashion world, the Met Gala! It featured everything from silver, to glitz and glamour with some outstanding gowns and makeup looks. This year’s theme seemed to center around the idea of “Manus x Machina: Fashion in an Age of Technology”, so a lot of the celebs sported edgy, futuristic looks with metallic accents. I featured a blog post using metallic accents if you care to see my tips and tricks on how to sport this trend. Of course a lot of the celebrities matched their edgy gowns with equally metallic and smoked out makeup looks. One look in particular that caught my eye was worn by one of my favorite celebrities, Olivia Wilde.









Oh baby did she look amazing, pun intended! She had no problem flaunting her gorgeous pregnancy curves in her absolutely stunning custom-made Michael Kors gown. With an epic cutout and a statement metallic choker, Wilde fit the theme of the black-tie Gala perfectly! She looked super fierce and sleek in her body-hugging gown, which she pulled off with grace and sophistication. But lets take a look at that makeup, shall we! Wow, a stunning metallic smoky eye to go with her stunning, showstopper gown.












I decided I wanted to recreate this look using the Urban Decay Smoky Palette, as this palette is perfect for creating looks exactly like this one. I know many people look at this palette and think: I don’t need it! How often am I going to do a smoky look anyways? I can totally see how you would think that, but let me tell you the creativity and versatility of this palette is huge. Just as I tried recreating this gorgeous smoked out metallic look, you can also create toned down, everyday looks. I truly enjoy this palette and do not regret purchasing it. For now lets move on to showing you how I recreated Olivia Wilde’s smoky Met Gala look.


















How to get the look:

As I previously stated I used the Urban Decay Smoky palette. I started out by using “thirteen” all over the lid to create a smooth base for all the other shadows to blend easier on the lid and brow bone. Then taking the shadow in “combust” I applied it to the center crease portion of my eye, making sure to blend and building the color up just in the crease. Then using the MAC paint pot in “blackground” and keeping it on the lid portion only, I made sure to blend it in just up to the crease where we laid the “combust color”. Then on the outer half of the lid I used the color “black market” to begin smoking out the look on the edge of the eye. Keep blending until you have the intensity you desire on the outer portion of the eye. Then, using the shadow in “Armor” on the other inner half of the lid making sure to blend it seamlessly with “black market”. That’s pretty much it for the look! Using UD eyeliner pencil in “perversion” I placed it in the waterline and used the two lid colors to smoke it out on the bottom lid portion of my eyes same as we did on the lid.










That’s pretty much all she wrote for the look, folks. A simple smoky look made to look like a million dollar makeover. I hope you all enjoyed this look as much as I did and be sure to tag me on instagram @libutterfly if you too decide to recreate Olivia Wilde’s Met Gala smoky eye look. For more makeup looks and makeup tips be sure to follow me at Looks By Li on Bloglovin. I will be listing all products below in case you are curious to know what products I used on my face as well.










Please comment with any questions or if you liked this look. As always thank you all so much for your love and support and be sure to follow me on social media for more up-to-date excitement going on! Love you all and as always stay chic everybody!








Products Used:


FACE: Foundation- Estee Lauder Double Wear; Setting Powder- Laura Mercier translucent setting powder; Concealer- Maybelline Fit Me; Bronzer- Nars Laguna; Blush- Nars Orgasm; Highlight- Becca Champaign Pop x Jaclyn Hill

LIPS: MAC lipstick in Peachstock

EYES: Urban Decay Smoky Palette; Eye Pencil- Perversion; Mascara- Clinique









Social Media:

Facebook: Looks By Li
Instagram: libutterfly
Twitter: Looks by Li



No comments:

Post a Comment